Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sat ride

As expected, Brian bailed out. He may have died in the heat today, so I rode solo. I headed out towards his place anyway and found 2 cyclists with flats. I stoped to chat and offer help. nice 50 something guy and 40 something woman (who raced the Wed crit). They'd both flatted right where I was about to ride. So being I wanted a recovery ride, I rode with them. Kept me from hammering for 3 hrs as I was planning to anyway (so much for recovery). Then after 2 miles, a second flat (bad tube I reckon) for the guy. Thought maybe it was a bad choice to ride with them, but it was a slower ride, chatting was fun and overall I enjoyed it. We rode to a start place for group ride, which we missed. So we rode the course anyway.

I turned around at one point to get home to go to Redbull Flugtag (google it). I ended up riding 57miles in 3:15, 17.8mph. At hour 2, I'd gone only 32 miles (yeah, 16mph). I rode 25 miles home, mostly flat to light rollers, in 1:11, about 21.1 mph. Slight tailwind much fo the way, but my legs were awesome. I cranked it up to 25-28 at will. I'm tired as I rode a tough 3 hrs and 53 miles yesterday and swam. Today the heat was getting me again, and I ran out of water right near the end. I tried to use it wisely. I felt great despite the late morning heat. I could have ridden way further, well until I passed out and bonked. Didn't eat too much, 1 small banana, 1 packet of Cola Clif bloks, and a small granola bar. That was it!

Ride and run planned for tomorrow.

No comments: