Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sunday long ride

Rode with a bunch of guys from my team on the state road race championship course (which is being held in 2 weeks). I started early and rode 18 mi to the school where we met. Had a great ride to the school and it held basically all day. I had stomach issues and made an emergency stop at a gas station. I almost had to duck into the woods. The team and another group we were riding with passed the station, but a bunch on my team noodled around waiting for me. I emerged a new man and we TT'd into the wind for a while to catch folks. We all regrouped and then started again. The group split up (some going back to the school for only a 30mi ride, while the rest of us the did the whole course).

We had a small group and a few took off while I soft pedaled a little. Then I felt like I had game and started giving it a go. I had a teammate on my wheel and after a hard pull he was gone. I rode easy, but he never caught up, so I took off chasing the group of 3. I rode probably 8 miles at 20-22mph, but didn't catch them. No surprise, but the guys behind be organized and chased, but I held them off by 90 sec or so.

I rode very well and after another refueling at a grocery (had a coke and a bacon biscuit) we took off back to where I started. We took the shorter route (I wanted a little more), but I took long hard pulls since those guys waited for me. I had to slow up once to wait up for them. They were impressed I had gas in the tank after 70miles. I felt awesome. I pulled the last 3 miles or so and faired adieu since they started a little ways from me.

Ended up with 76 miles, 4:09, avg 18.56mph. HR monitor was all screwy and after 3 hrs it said my HR was 42-58 bpm. Humph. Maybe interference, maybe bad battery. Not sure.

Anyway, stellar ride. All started with blueberry pancakes and one fried egg. Mmmmm. Screw oatmeal!!! I think I had too much Accelerade. I had a bunch as recovery and my stomach was a mess on the way home and still is. Uh.

No comments: